Friday, June 29, 2007

The Cup is Lifted

6/14/94 This has to be one of the best events I have ever covered. The date was June 14, 1994. I was assigned this event. It was an electric night in Manhattan. The Rangers had not won a Stanley Cup since 1940 and the curse was lifted that night. I am a Rangers fan at heart. This was the one event that I have covered in all my years of covering sports and working in the newspaper industry that I felt like a fan as well. The Rangers had just won and every photographer was getting ready for the moment when the Stanley Cup was to be presented to the captain Mark Messier. Madison Square Garden was shaking. I had very little time to make this image as the deadlines were approaching. (We still shot film back then and we drove back to the office after an event). No Computers yet! I was beeped 911 about 2 minutes after I made this shot. That was the signal to get back to the office and get this image over to the paper. I high tailed out of the Garden and got in my car and drove back to Newark. The streets of Manhattan were very different that night. people were screaming and cheering about the Rangers. It was a cool feeling to be just driving the streets of Manhattan with my windows open and everyone outside was a Rangers fan. Well I got back to the office in time and this made the front page. It was just the 1st of many exciting moments at The Star-Ledger in my 17 plus years at the paper.

No comments: