Thursday, July 19, 2007

STEAM PIPE EXPLOSION

What A night. I was dispatched to the steam pipe explosion from Newark. A quick 15 minute ride on most nights turned into a 1 hour and 30 minute ride. When I arrived at 7:30pm the daylight was fading fast and I had 20 minutes to make a picture for deadline. I parked at 36Th and 3rd and walked to the scene at 39Th and Lexington Ave. That was where I came upon this scene. I shot some images and moved them on my computer. I had them to the photo desk by 8:01pm. I then went back to the scene and it was now dark. I looked at this building on the corner of 39Th and Lex and buzzed all the apartments til one buzzed me in. I got on the elevator and went up to the top, it was a 7 story building and a roof that went outside, and with my 300mm shot this image at an 1/80 of a sec at 1250 iso and made the image and went back down the elevator and sent the image back to the office. It arrived by 8:38pm and made the inside big . I was very please to say the least and even told Rachel French, my night photo editor that that image was fuckin sweet, and she repeated it in the office. All in a days work .

No comments: